Bells soon will be ringing in tandem. After 113 years as a social and religious center for Park City, the old chapel of St. Mary's Catholic Church will enter semi-retirement. Its replacement is a beautiful new chapel at Highway 224 and White Pine Canyon Road.
In 1881, the 1st Street Mary's, a modest wood frame structure housing a chapel and school, was built on the Park Avenue site. After the church was destroyed by fire in 1884, these familiar 2 buildings constructed of native rock replaced it. School classes were held on the building grounds until it closed in 1933 because of declining enrollment